Having secured the Serie C title by 16 points, my objective in the 2019/20 season was simply to avoid relegation. This post will cover the pre-season and first thirteen games of the Serie B season.
Although I didn’t have any philosophies on which the Board would judge me, I had my values that I wanted to maintain in my second season. These would be:
- Signing good, young footballers with a balance of technical, mental and physical skills
- Loaning where possible, since finances remained perilous. I would need to make heavy use of my senior affiliate Udinese
- With the ball, playing attractive football with multiple threats from wide areas and central midfield, with predominantly one striker
- Playing a high pressing, high energy game without the ball, looking to win it back as soon as possession is lost.
- Improving the quality of my coaches and scouts.
- Hire a new Head of Youth Development to improve the quality of my U-20 and U-18 teams.