So last year I created a series in which I tried to Ruin English Football. I basically created an alternate world in which top teams lost their ability to sign players meaning they relied heavily on their youth in turn creating a quality generation of English talent. However what ended up happening was League One and Two teams became huge and took over and Wigan and Blackburn won everything. If you want to read about that you can check out parts here:
- Ruining English Football – Part 1
- Ruining English Football – Part 2
- Ruining English Football – Part 3
- Ruining English Football – The Finale!
So this save has some similarities but I decided that instead of ruining another country or another simulation, I’d try and make up for what I’d done previously. This time round I’m going to save English football. I know the current national team is doing fantastically, its kind of sad that around this time last year I wrote an article on Why England won’t win a major competition in our lifetimes. That makes me look really pessimistic in retrospect. However despite how much I applaud Gareth Southgate; I’m stealing his job.
I have a few things on my ‘checklist’ that I’d like to achieve in this save:
- Climb the Leagues with the Unicorn, relying on young English talent either from my academy or an extensive scouting network provided by the national team.
- Keep the average age of the national team 24 or lower, without losing quality of players. Keep older players for key roles and rotate teams during friendlies/easy qualifiers.
- Improve the facilities as early as possible, as that is paramount to early climbing.
- DO NOT GET ATTACHED TO PLAYERS! Players will stay for a maximum of two years.